Saturday, October 9, 2010

If it ain't Texas, It Ain't


 Greg Biffle is a professional automobile driver from Vancouver, Washington.  I am an amateur Bus driver from Vancouver, Washington.  Kati Clayborne is a professional Banjo, Mountain dulcimer and singer, she is also from Vancouver, Washington.  (This is a note to my sister: Tusk, Kati went to River, she knows (of) Heather and Jenny). Kati Clayborn is dating Luke Ydstie.  Which makes the bus less crowded because of the extra bunk.  Kati was the singer in the Portland old timey band, The Mighty Ghosts of Heaven, with her former husband. She left that job and took up this one in 2008 just before the release of the Blind Pilot Album 3 rounds and a Sound. Her harmonies reflect that they have been simmered in the melodies of old folk and gospel songs.  Luke and Kati will sit around and sing for hours and hours.  In the green room in Boise and the green room in Boulder I was treated to various pop songs which include but are not limited to: Neil Young's, Unknown Legend. If you can pick out her lines in the harmonies Kati Claborn will break your heart just like Linda Ronstadt. Sometimes she's sings the sweet and low down note.

The show in Santa Fe went fairly well.  The band rambled the city during the day but the load in time didn't give them much opportunity for a sound check and the rhythm of the show is always less choppy when Mike can really dig into the sound before the show starts. The places has a capacity of 300 but I counted, yes literally counted, 72 and the door was counted as 105, I think.



It looked everybody knew everybody and Israel came out of his shell a little and joked with the crowd.  Israel was giving his explanation of Oviedo, "I was living in Europe and a friend of mine wanted to know... know how things ... (Israel pauses for some screeching from the speakers) - Luke interupts "She wanted some feedback." An audience member recycled that joke again later. (This is a note to my wife: ... And it wasn't me.)




I took the drive out of Santa Fe. It was glorious.  I love seeing the sunrise.  It gives me a thrill.





The Northwest Texas highways are all four lanes, straight and flat, brown cotton fields and feed lots. I stopped in Lubbock at about 10:00 AM, because I could not go on and slept until Israel fired up Loretta at Noon. He drove the bus to Post.

We ate at a BBQ joint with free soft serve Ice cream, Mike bought a water melon from some farmers on the side of the road. Israel drove until about 7ish and we stopped at a Mexican restaurant in some little Texas town, whose name I cannot recall - Here's some pictures.








I drove again until 10:30 and Israel took over for the last 30 miles or so.

We got a motel room in Austin, primarily to shower in. I won't be sleeping there. It's the kind of place you might meet your lover, toward the end of the affair - not that I have any experience with that sort of thing (This is a note to my wife: 21, 23 always vacancy, free HBO on the Culla, culla, culla, culla, culla TV, what, what, what, what, what, value motel, value motel meet me in a half at the value motel). It smells like a swamp, has mildew in the corners and I'm pretty sure I actually saw a bed bug, okay 2. I'm happy to report they are both now dead.

Now I'm rested, showered, fed, hanging out at Stubb's and I've got two appraisal addenda to type.  Looks like an exciting day.



I think it would be really neat and tidy if there were someway I could think of to tie this back into Greg Biffle but there ain't.

No comments:

Post a Comment